Thanksgiving!



It's the day after thanksgiving and all through the house,
every toy that we own is spread all about.
It smells like turkey and gravy,
and I just want to sleep on the duvet.

We are tired of being thankful,
and there's dishes to be done.
There's potatoes on my shoes,
and the cousins are being loud.

Thankful!?
What is that?!
There's so much to do.
I don't have time to be thankful.

I have to set up for Christmas,
I have to call my grandparents.
I have letters to write...
And I have to be at work in five minutes.

What is thankful!
I'm to busy for that!
I was thankful yesterday,
now today too? 

Now what about tomorrow/
And the day after that?
What about next week when I'm tired,
or next month when I'm stressed?

what about when I don't want to be thankful?
what about when the world goes dark?
Can I say that I'll still be thankful?
Can I say that it is well?

The truth is there are days when the night won't end.
I'm going to be tired.
But in the middle of those days,
I know that there are things to be thankful for.

For the roof over my head,
For a job that smells nice,
for the life that Jesus has given,
For the music in my earphones.

As I bend over and clean the gravy off the wall,
Those things I'm thankful for.
For the life and the breath,
and the days up ahead.

~Rachel Joy

Popular Posts