Comparison


This is a post idea I’ve had for a long time, but as I draft it for the twenty ninth million time, I realized that I didn’t want to talk about it... 

I don’t want to admit that I compared myself to the rest of the world, and at times thought my worth came from the number on the back of my jeans.

I don’t like to admit that I’ve looked at my cousins, the models on the cover of magazines, and my mother and been like, “I am the smallest, gangliest, weirdest human on the face of the planet.” (I have a very beautiful mom. Who happens to be two inches taller than me. This fact has been the bane of my life since I was twelve years old.)

I don’t like to admit that.

But like probably every other human, I’ve done it too.

I don’t always like the face looking back at me in the mirror. (So I make grotesque faces at her, which helps tremendously.)

As I’ve compared myself, I’ve learned a couple things, and because I thought that this might be a worldwide problem, I thought I would share those couple things.

1.      Numbers are just numbers—not the definition in a dictionary.
I have these two pairs of jeans. One says “Size 4” on the tag, and the other says “Size 9” The size fours way to big, whereas the size 9’s are the perfect fit. The number means nothing.

2.      The things you don’t think are beautiful about you, just might be the things other people envy. 
I’ve always wanted curly hair. Other people I know wish they could have my boring straight hair. It’s a thing.

3.      Comparison is the death of joy.
When I compare myself to my friends and family, I find a lot of disconnect. I go from not liking me a little bit, to just being really flustered with myself.
But the crazy thing is, I’m saved by my amazing God, who loves me with and without freckles. (I know right? ) In fact, he made me without freckles for a reason. It makes me unique.

4.      What other people say doesn’t matter.

Whenever I meet new people with my family, I get always get a good laugh.
You see, Ben looks like my dad, (and he gets that a lot) and JD looks like my mom (and he gets that a lot.)

But when people look at me, 50% of the time they will say “Oh my word you look exactly like your mother” where as the other 50% of the population says “You look so much like your dad, and nothing like your mom.”

  The above situation usually happens when two people of opposing opinions are sitting right next       to each other, which makes it very comical for me.

But really, if my mom dad and I looked in the mirror right next to each other, I look nothing like either of them. I’m uniquely different. What people say doesn’t define you. It really doesn’t matter at all. (Unless they tell you there is cake on your face. Then you should deal with that.)

5.      I will probably never be able to lift a submarine. But that’s ok.

It honestly doesn’t matter if you are strong or weak, tall or short… It doesn’t matter, as long as you are living a life that is God honoring and pure.

So often I look at my tall, strong brothers, and I’m like, “Are you sure we had the same parents?” because we are just so different. But that doesn’t matter, because we serve the same God. I can stay in the kitchen and make them cookies, whist they go out and cut trees, fish and do whatever else they do.

God gave me a different talent and skill set, because he knew that I would have two fabulous brothers who would probably be hungry.

6.      I think this is just really important, so I’m going to say it again: You are more than numbers and words.
You are a treasured and made in the image of God!


“I am not telling you this because I need anything. I have learned to be satisfied with the things I have and with everything that happens. I know how to live when I am poor, and I know how to live when I have plenty. I have learned the secret of being happy at any time in everything that happens, when I have enough to eat and when I go hungry, when I have more than I need and when I do not have enough. I can do all things through Christ, because he gives me strength.” – Philippians 4:11-12

~Rachel Joy 

Popular Posts