To Think...



To think about the splendor and majesty of God’s Holy throne is something amazing.

The Bible talks about it being surrounded by worshipers and light, gems of great worth and best of all—God sits there.

At the youth group that my younger brother JD and I have been going to, the youth pastor asks this question before worship starts: “Where are we going tonight?” The expected response is “To the throne of God.”

The first time this exchange happened, I was floored. When we worship, pray, do our devotions ect, we are going to the throne of God. We are seeking his face, and looking for him.

To put your mind there, it’s insane.

I want to seek the face of God in a way that I remember who he is. That I remember that he is mighty King, and that I don’t take that I can worship him for granted. Because I do that a lot.

So often when I pray, I’m like, “Hey dear Jesus, thank you for this day and that the sun was shining and that my makeup was on fleek. Help tomorrow be as awesome as it was today, amen.”

It’s a prayer that, yes, God hears, but to be honest it’s not from my heart.

I want to pray from my heart.

There are people all over the world who have to pray like they mean it. On bended knee, because their lives literally depend on it. When they pray, they mean business.

When I pray, I’m praying that my coffee won’t burn my mouth.

Prayer is something I take for granted. #confessions I don’t always pray as much as I would like to. I don’t really tend to get on my knees and pray like I mean it.

Yes, I pray for people—when I say I’m praying for you I do pray! But it’s not from my heart as much as I wish it was. Sometimes it’s more of an “I want to sound smart before God, not like I’m just rambling like I do on my blog and I don’t want to say anything dumb” kind of prayer. A Peanut butter jelly prayer, as I once heard it called. 

But I wonder; if one prayed like they were praying to a Holy God, who is sitting on a majestic throne, would they pray the same way?

If someone was praying as if God was holy and mighty, as if he created the world with the sound of his voice, and who sent his son down to die for us, would we honestly  pray the same way?

Would we start praying as if God could move? Would our “Peanut Butter Jelly” prayers turn into the kind that could move mountains as we sought after the face of God?

And not just the way we prayed how about the way we worshiped? Instead of just following what the worship leader did, and just mouthing along with the words, would we start singing like we were singing to our King and Creator?

I don’t know. I don’t make the rules and I can’t see the future.  I’m just thinking out loud here.

Sometimes I have a watered down view of Jesus.

I tend to think of the “cute and cuddly kid friendly” Jesus. Not the Splendor and Majesty, Creator and Sovereign over everything, all knowing, also makes thunder and lightning kind of God who holds storehouses of snow and has cattle on a thousand hills. (That was a horrible run on sentence and I’m sorry if that didn’t make sense.)

You see what I mean?

Although God still hears my “PBJ” prayers, I want to start avoiding them—the same way I do real peanut butter.

I want to start praying and worshipping like I mean it. Not like I have to or else I’ll get hit by lightning; but like I love God and truly want to grow closer to him and to seek his face.

“ “Then you will call my name. You will come to me and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will search for me. And when you search for me with all your heart, you will find me! I will let you find me,” Says the LORD, “And I will bring you back from your captivity.”“  ~Jeremiah 29:12-14

~Rachel Joy




Popular Posts