Hey Fear?


Confession: I am afraid of riding bikes.

This fear was founded about a year ago when I took flying lessons over the handle bars of the pastor’s wife’s bike (long story) and crashed pretty hard onto the road.

I messed up both of my arms and my mom ended up having to come and pick up the troupe of bikers.
Upon arriving at home, I was ushered to the bathroom to get cleaned up. Only I got stuck in there because I couldn’t straighten out my arms in order to open the stupid door. So I just stood there crying for my mother. (It’s a valid option, ok?) 

After what felt like centuries, my mom helped me from the jail I found myself stuck in,
I’m happy to say that I lived and that the only evidence I ever got hurt is the scar on my arm. It’s a very snazzy scar, and when people ask how I got hurt, I tell them I got bit by an armadillo. (Note: I’m not even sure if armadillos have teeth.)

Anyway, as someone in my life (probably one of my brothers) was trying to convince me to get back on the preverbal horse that threw me, I found myself thinking about fears.

Sometimes fears are because of something in the past that has broken or scared you. It seems that when something scares you, the good memories of the past fade way and all you can think of is the bad stuff. (Such as with biking. Ironically, my brothers and I used to race each other on a BMX track near my grandparents house. It was fun, but I never won.)

But the thing about that is; your fear becomes a chain. You get stuck in it.

And so often we stand there crying at the door because our fears hurt us. We are like, “This fear hurt me! I can’t open the door thanks to my fear!”

The cool thing is, there is someone on the other side of the door that would love to open the door for you. And when Jesus opens the door, he tends to your wounds. The Bible says that he is near to the broken hearted and that he binds up their wounds. He is a healing God who fixes all the broken things.

He not only heals what happened, but he can vanquish those fears.  

Now, that I’ve given myself a huge pep talk… My bike was given to some dear friends in Washington. (Her bike got stolen, and I wasn’t using mine, so we just gave it to her. It was a good thing, and I honestly don’t mind.) 
                                  
Too bad!

God did not give us a spirit that makes us afraid but a spirit of power and love and self-control. So do not be ashamed to tell people about our Lord Jesus…”   ~2 Timothy 1:7-8

~Rachel Joy 

Popular Posts