Those Goodbye Days


(First of all, I’m sorry for this being another post on moving. I’m sure you are all just like, “Ahhhh!! Rach! We’ve heard this all before would you just please shut up and talk about something different for once?” I have this one, then maybe we can start talking about new life and all that jazz.)

Goodbyes are always hard for me to say. Quite simply put, I hate them with vehemence. Is there a way we can just… not say them?


They hurt to say. When you’re done, you just want to curl up in a ball and pretty much cry for the rest of your life.


It’s hard to say goodbye to people that you love. It’s even harder to watch them cry and feel responsible for that.

It really doesn't help that the Bible is all like, "It's gonna be ok!" and I'm over here like, "No it's not, stop."


I recently came across a quote from one of my all time favorite people--Winnie the Pooh Bear-- that pretty much summed up my thoughts.


Goodbye? Oh no, please. Can’t we just go back to page one and start all over?” (Those moments when your brain can be defined by a children’s book...)


I wish instead of saying those painful goodbyes we could just… flip the book over and reread all the good times. The chapter about throwing water balloons and snowballs at each other. The pages filled with laughter and pulling pranks on people. The chapters full of dreaming of the future, dressing up in the mall, jumping on trampolines for hours, concerts, and laughing way to late at night. The many coffee filled pages and the episode involving exchange of tired thoughts during 8:00 am classes...


I wish that instead of saying goodbye, we could just reread what happened over and over and then never say goodbye.


My friend Winnie the Pooh Bear said one more thing though, that I think is powerful:


“How lucky I am to have someone that makes saying goodbye so hard.”


Gotta love Pooh Bear.


The people that I have had to say goodbye to, I am so blessed to have. That’s probably why this is so hard, because I’m going to miss them.


As hard as it is to say that goodbye and to cry, We have to choose to believe it’s for the best.


I’ve been thinking a lot about the Israelite's. They had to leave everything in Egypt and move across with God being there only guide.


How hard would that be? I mean, they didn’t know where they were going, they didn’t have food or water, and they had to carry everything that they owned.


At least we can take a U-haul and I’m pretty sure there is a Starbucks or two along the way.


Yeah, I miss Myfaircity, Washington. I miss it a lot. I to miss the friendly sassing, the warm hugs and the long talks over coffee. I miss it more then I think words can even say.


Another quote that I heard goes like this, “There is always a happy ending. Even in the hard times, there is always a happy ending.”


There is always a happy ending.


I don’t know what my happy ending will look like right now, but I do know that God is working all things for my good and for His Glory. I know that even though it’s been really hard  to say goodbye, that God has a plan, and that in 2 years--or maybe even two months-- I’ll see his plan. That I’ll see why he’s done this, and that I’ll see his majestic plan.


“The LORD All-Powerful has made this promise: These things will happen exactly as I planned them; they will happen exactly as I set them up.” ~Isaiah 14:24

~Rachel Joy

Popular Posts