Notes About the Sunset



In the same way that I woke up early yesterday morning, I also stayed up late and watched the sunset with one of my best friends.

That hope of the morning and the depth of those “This isn’t the end” words, still echoing in my heart, and watching the stars as the glimmered and gleamed in the dark night sky.

It was a very clear night here in Myfaircity, and we could see an eternity of stars.

(I have determined that stars are made of crystal and dreams-- don’t listen to those scientists, they don’t know what they are talking about. The way they shimmer and shine even when they don’t look like they ought to, and the way they poke through the apparently overwhelming might of the darkest night.-- they must be.  They are little still glimmers of hopeful dreams, poking through the dark sky.)

After our little adventures outside, we went inside and just talked, ate junk food, and had some of the most fun times I’ve had in a long time.

The hard part came later-- those horrid goodbyes.

In the middle of saying a hard goodbye, it’s easy to just think “I give up! Let me unpack my stuff and lets stay here.”

It’s hard to keep fighting to see that hope. It’s hard to see that God is sovereign when all you are doing is crying and hugging--wishing that you didn’t have to say those horrid words.

It’s not easy  to keep looking up and to hear the words of our Savior that say “this isn’t the end.

It’s hard to watch your friends cry, and to know that you’re the reason they are crying. It hurts.

It’s hard to hold onto the hope and clarity of thought that God can give.

But just because the darkness of the night is more overwhelming than the light that pokes through, it doesn’t mean it’s all that there is.

Just because the world looks like it looks like the world couldn’t get any worse, doesn’t mean that there isn’t any hope.

There is always hope. Even when it’s hard.

Even when you long to give up hope, in an effort to make things go back to the ‘good olde days,’ don’t give up.

Keep standing strong and waiting for the light to come. Keep fighting the good fight, and keep hoping and praying. Because our God is bigger than the darkness.

He’s bigger than the longing for the ‘good olde days’ and bigger than the struggles that we go through. He’s bigger than the hurt that we go through and bigger than the tears that we cry.

He’s forever sovereign over all this.

“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now, a crown is being held before me--a crown for being right with God. The Lord, the judge who judges rightly, will give the crown to me on that day-- not only to me but to all those who have waited with love for him to come again.”
~2 Timothy 4:7-8

~Rachel Joy

Popular Posts