Looking at the Waves



I love the ocean. It’s one of my very favorite places on earth. I love the sand, and the ocean and the little bits of ocean life that seem to hang about it that general area.  It’s … pretty much the best.

(I also happen to be slightly obsessed with anchors and starfish… but that's a different story.)

And so I also happen to love Bible verses on the ocean. (Honestly when you find a verse on something that you are obsessed with, it happens to make the world 993830% better.)

So when I saw this verse in my “I’m in no rush to finish this” tour of Psalms, I was like, “OH MY WORDDD!!! *Heart bubble.*” (Yes. I do think like that sometimes…)

“Troubles have come again and again, sounding like waterfalls. Your waves are crashing all around me. The LORD shows his true love every day. At night I have a song, and I pray to my living God.” (Psalms 42:7-8)


You see, the author of this Psalm understood something that I think we try to skim over. We tend to try and make troubles seem minuscule and unimportant, and like no matter how big of a deal they are to us, it’s just a little thing.

But this author says that the troubles sound like waterfalls!! Whoa! Have you heard a waterfall? They sound like a plane crashing.

And waves at the ocean are also pretty loud. (Especially when they crash on the beach that can get really loud.)

Sometimes we have crazy problems, and they engulf us and try to drown us.

But you see, even through all of that, The Lord shows his true love for his people every day.

He becomes our anchor, and will keep us strong even in the storm. Perhaps he will even help us walk on the water.

Which shouldn’t that be our goal? Shouldn’t we want to walk not only side by side with him through the storm, but also trust that he will keep us standing strong through all of it.

When we keep our eyes upon the King who can walk above the wind and waves, amazing things happen.


We can have a song to sing, and we can know that we serve a living God.

 The God that we serve is strong and mighty. He holds every storm in the palm of his hand. And that is what is keeping me steady.  

"Do you not fear Me?' declares the LORD 'Do you not tremble in My presence? For I have placed the sand as a boundary for the sea, An eternal decree, so it cannot cross over it. Though the waves toss, yet they cannot prevail; Though they roar, yet they cannot cross over it.”~Jeremiah 5:22


Rachel Joy

Popular Posts