Learning to Breathe



This past week I have had a very hard time performing life's simplest functions: breathing. It’s mainly a mix of peanut allergies and asthma so don’t be worried, but it’s just… a rather inconvenient thing that happened recently.

It's been a roller coaster of craziness to add to an already insane week. 

That being said, I felt like I had one of the least productive weeks of my life. (I actually did get a lot of stuff done… it just didn’t feel like it.) 

Another awesome thing about this week is that I’ve been doing a lot of thinking. Sometimes that’s good and sometimes that’s bad. In this case, it was occasionally very bad. 

The other day I was driving around and just thinking while driving, (#multaskingskills) when I had this thought.

One of the things that should be the easiest thing for me to remember is that God has grace for all of our sins and has arms strong enough and enough love to cover my insecurities and can and will breathe the breath of life into me.

You see, as well as physical breathing problems--breathing in the air I need to live-- I was also having problems breathing in the grace, hope and peace of God-- which I also need to live.

Breathing sometimes isn’t just a reflex but a choice. When I’m stressed or overwhelmed, I actually have to slow down and breathe in the words that are written in God’s word, and to let God breath the breathe of life into me.  

Jesus said in John 14:1-7 "“I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

 He says something really profound. That He is the way to life, the Truth in this deceitful world and the Life. That truthfully implies that without him, we are dead.

We need the breath of life. In Genesis, God breathed life into Adam, and without that, he never would have been able to exist. 

It's the same with us. Without the life, hope and peace that God gives, we are spiritually dead and weak. 

 It's just how it works. 

Physically breathing is something we all have to do. It's vital to living and without it, we are dead. 
But I think it's kind of the same with Spiritually breathing. If we don't learn how to be still and breathe in the breath of Life, it emotionally kills us. 


“The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” ~Psalms 27:1


Rachel Joy


Popular Posts