Notes on: Unity



Do you feel the darkness tremble, as all the saints join in one song, as the people rise to sing of, Jesus Christ the saving one…

Those are the lyrics to a song called, “Do you Feel the Mountains Tremble?” by Martin Smith. I have been practicing this song on the piano for a little while, and that verse is probably one of my favorites in the entire song.

You see, I have been thinking a lot about unity lately.  Jesus prayed for unity in the garden, saying: “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.” (John 17:20)

Jesus gave us power to be one. Not only with him but also with each other.

I have begun to wonder is we as united body of believers took a stand for what we believed if we could make the darkness tremble. Do you think that if we stood for what we believed, would truly hear the darkness tremble? Would the world perhaps be forever changed?

If we stood together, do you think we could stand against the darkness that so often seems to prevail over this world and make it tremble?

Would we find strength that we didn’t know we could have/ find... Would we grow closer to Jesus and closer in communion with each other?

Would we become one as Jesus prayed that we would? Would we be able to face the darkness as with strength that comes from Christ alone? Would we be able to shine like a light in the darkness and perhaps shine so brightly that we spark a wildfire that brings Glory to God’s name?

Would we be able to work past the denominational and cultural differences and move forward in unity?

I don’t have the answers.
I wish that I did.
But I don’t.

It’s just the things I wonder and don’t have answers to. (So I thought I would plague all of you with them!)

But I do wonder. If we learned how to live in unity, would we change the world? Because I think we would. Just a thought….. 

Rachel Schaus

Popular Posts