My Mother Got an iPhone



Dear world.Consider yourselves warned: My mother got an iPhone.


Now don’t get me wrong. My mother is brilliant. She can cook and sew. She’s taught me literally everything I know, and over all, my mom is just amazing! (I'm not just saying that because she will read this, I'm being serious.) 


Having an iPhone has brought out a different side of her.


My mom and I don’t normally text that much, as we both have working vocal chords. But day she got her new phone, I got a text saying, “Text me.” (As a note: I was sitting literally four feet away…)


Because I am “that” smart-alecky teenager, I texted her back, “What should I say??”


This playful banter went back and forth for awhile, as I talked her through how to adjust the screen brightness and the sound and other things that beginning iPhone users need to know.


Until I made a fatal mistake. I sent her an emoji. It was actually the scared emoji with the caption, “what have I unleashed upon the world??” (Because when I text, I cannot use only one question mark… don’t ask why because I really don’t know.)


Since the moment that my mom added the emoji keyboard, I have not received a text with words. It’s like… these collections of emojis telling me an action or a sequence of events that happened.


A blue minivan is at a loving church with a scared cat who is blissfully writing a letter…. while pooping?


Can someone please explain this to me? Because I am so confused...

My final story has to do with my all time favorite coffee shop in the whole world… Starbucks.I was using the Starbucks drive thru, and my mission was to obtain three coffees. (Not all for me. That would probably become a very energetic problem.) 


So, I ran through the normal drink ordering routine, paid, and then waited. After waiting for an eternity the lady came to the sliding window and handed me three straws. Which was awesome! Can’t have coffee without a straw! Then she went back in (I was assuming to get the coffee) and then we waited.


And she came back with more straws! I showed her that I already had three working straws, and she headed back again.


We did that four times. As I really only needed three straws, it was a little pointless. (I’m thinking maybe she needed the coffee more than I did. Which is saying something.)These problems are things you all have probably come across. They are silly little problems, and are kind of funny, because we all know the struggle.


But really, if you think about it we are so blessed  to have these problems!


I don’t want to guilt-trip you about water in Africa or worldwide hunger, (Although I know that both of those things are out there and that they both are horrible.)


We are blessed to have resources that we have and the freedom to do things like, text and get coffee on a crazy Saturday afternoon.


This life that we have is an amazing gift! Should we not treasure it as such?


"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances." ~Philippians 4:11



Rachel Joy

Popular Posts