I'm Overwhelmed.



It’s so easy to get overwhelmed.

 Life has a lot of crazy moving parts and sometimes all of those moving pieces kind of move dramatically in a very short amount of time and… it’s overwhelming!

 Recently this week I was very overwhelmed. Things were falling too quickly and these were all things that where way out of my control.  (Which, I’m kind of a control freak. I like to be able to control where everything is going, because I’m stupid and have problems remembering to surrender to God. But that’s a different subject for a different blog post.)

I had a lot on my mind, and then a not so shining day at my homeschool co-op and… I was just really tired.

You see, I like having my life neat and organized. Everything has a neat little box with a label and they don’t get messed up.  Well… apparently those boxes decided to fall and spill the content everywhere. 

(Which-as you can probably guess-made a huge mess everywhere and… was kind of bothersome to clean back up.)

Then, it was just crazy and I was tired, and then a friend blessed me in a way that I had never imagined and, it was just kinda... way too much for under 24 hours.

So I just died a little bit. Like, came home, crashed and wrote crazy poetry and stared at walls. (What? You do it too when you’re overwhelmed.)

Then, in my earbuds came, “Overwhelmed” from Big Daddy Weave. Which wasn’t really the fast music I was looking for, so I almost skipped it.

“I see the work of your hands,
Galaxies spinning a heavenly dance
Oh God,
All that you are
Is so overwhelming…

I delight myself in you…
Captivated by your beauty…
I’m overwhelmed,
Oh I’m overwhelmed
By you…”

And I don’t know why that struck me as hard as it did, but that’s what happened.

So overwhelming. So overwhelming..

When I keep my eyes fixed on the world, and what’s happening to me I get so, so overwhelmed. 

When I see my neat boxes falling to the ground, I get overwhelmed by dancing underneath them trying to catch every one of them to keep them from falling by myself. When the world becomes your anchor, you are going to sink. It’s just how it works. And as you watch the water rise around you, you do what normal people who start to sink do—splash and try to get out of the water. You get overwhelmed by how cold the water is and how fast it is rising.

Something amazing happens when you become overwhelmed by God though. When you lift your eyes to the Maker of heaven and of earth, and to the one who created me and who knows everything that I do and will ever do. When you allow him to become your anchor, he keeps you steady through the storm.

And all that overwhelmingness -yeah, it’s still there- but you have more peace about it. It’s easier to be still and know that God is in control when you are overwhelmed by him, and not on the world.

Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.”
Psalms 55:22


Rachel Joy

Popular Posts