Bringing Light and Love Together


Love patiently accepts all things.” 1 Corinthians 13:7

Recently, my family went on a drive late at night, in the country. I don’t know if I’m the only one who didn’t know this, but in the country, there are no light poles. As in, poles with lights on top, that shine down on the road so that you can see where you are going.

So, it was pretty dark.

The road we were driving on had two lanes, one going one way, and the other going in the opposite direction. Whenever a car went back on the road going the opposite direction drove by our van, it completely blinded us. Every time. (It’s not that they had there brights on. It was just really dark and the headlights were really bright.)

(Don’t worry, we didn’t crash. I was just using that story to open up this blog post)

That got me thinking about light in a way that I hadn’t thought about it before. I started thinking about how light has the ability to either shine, or blind.

I started thinking about how Jesus calls us in Matthew 5:14-16 to be the salt and the light.
I started thinking about how people can shine at different levels, and I started wondering how  my light shines.

And I started wondering what kind of light I am.

I feel sometimes like I’m a little tea candle. A light that is important, but has a very small area of light.
A light that’s good for a short amount of time, and is fun to have around, but burns out quickly.

Then there are the lighthouse people. The people who just shine everywhere. Bringing light to the dark places no matter where they are, and their light is very far reaching, and they don’t seem to stop.

And although I don’t love being a little light, but I do want to shine where God has put me, and I want to learn to patently accept all things.
“Love patently accepts all things.” 1 Corinthians 13:7

Love means patently accepting all things.

All of them… not just the good ones.

Rachel Schaus



Popular Posts