Notes about Music



I love music. I really do.
One time one of my brothers joked that you could tell when I was awake by the sound of music coming from my room. And, for the most part it’s true. I crank out tunes all the time. (Dude, I’m cranking out music right now. Hawk Nelson. “Take Me.” I know it’s old, but I still like it.)

And I kind of pride myself in knowing different songs when they come out on the radio. If my mom likes a song, she will ask me, “Who is singing this?” And usually I know.
Anyway, one day I was listening to the radio and a song came on and for the life of me I couldn’t decide who it was by. I mean, I had an idea, but I wasn’t sure. It drove me crazy.  Have you ever answered the phone and thought, “I know who this is.” But you can’t peg a name to go with it??? Yet, this person knows your voice and… It’s kind of infuriating.
(It was Royal Tailor. Which drove me even crazier because I love music from Royal Tailor. What is wrong with me???)
Anyway, this incident got me thinking. I know Musicians by what they sing, or what they play. In the same way, Should the world know who we are as Christians by what we ‘sing?’ 

Should our actions show who we are???

Should the words that we say, (or not say.) 

Should the clothes that we wear (Or not wear) reflect who we are in Christ? (As another maybenotasbriefnote: The Bible says this in Psalms 139:14 “I praise you because you made me in an amazing and wonderful way.” We are created in the image of God, and God doesn’t make trash. He makes amazing awesomeness, so next time you feel down or like you are trash, then just remember that.)

People should look at you and know that you are a child of the King!!

In the same way I can listen to the radio and know who is singing the songs, should people be able to listen to the ‘lyrics’ of our lives, and know who we stand for???

In Matthew 7:16 we are told this by Jesus, “You will know these people by what they do. Grapes don’t come from thorn bushes, and figs don’t come from thorny weeds.”

People will know us by what we do (or don’t do.) they should be able to look at the life of your average Christian and say, “That person is a Christian.”

(That would be the coolest thing ever for someone to walk up to you on the street and say, “Wow. I think that your’ a Christian. Because of the way you act.” THE COOLEST THING EVER!!!! ) (Sorry. Very easily excited over cool things.)

So. As a challenge, this week, shall we let the Lyrics of our life, sing out Jesus???!?!? Shall we use every line and every chorus to sing about our awesome Savior???


Rachel Joy editor in chief of “Notes from my Corner of Creation” 

Popular Posts