Notes About Monsters!

I opened my eyes and sat straight up in bed.

“What is that sound?” I wondered. Stupid question. I knew what it was.

It was a monster. I haven’t had monsters under my bed for ten years.

 “Monsters don’t come to teenagers!” I whispered under my breath.

The sun light was just starting to come thought the window, filling my room with a dusty golden light. My lacey curtains blew slightly from the fan that was pointed at it. Had I not been afraid of getting my foot eaten off, I might have gone all photographer on it.

Unfortunately, the camera was on the other side of the room.

I pulled my blanket closer.

“This is silly!”  I said to myself, “there are no monsters under my bed.”

And with that, I reached for the Bible that was sitting on the foot of my bed.

“The Lord himself will go before you. He will be with you; He will not leave you or forget you.” I read, skimming the underlined verses. (That’s found in Deuteronomy 31:8 for the record.)

I sighed and began thumbing thought the pages of my bible. I glanced at the clock that sits on top of my dresser (On the other side of the room. Otherwise this human will never wake up.) 4:30 it reads in light green numbers. “This is too early for monsters to be out,” I think with a sigh.

Psalms 56:3 it’s underlined in a neon green pen.
“When I am afraid I will trust in you.” I read. I had it memorized but sometimes it’s good to re-read the stuff that you have memorized.

“When I am afraid I will trust in you.” I chanted under my breath.

With that, I stepped onto the carpet. I shuddered. Then looked under my bed.
There was a monster under their alright.

And with that, I started to laugh.
“To think!” I exclaimed, momentarily forgetting that my family was still asleep.
My tiny black and white kitten as pulling on the zipper from a sleeping bag that was under there. Seeing that I was awake, she ran out and tried to knock me over-like a dog or something. She was purring and meowing. Had she been speaking English, she would have said, “Are you ready to play?”
To think! I was afraid of my *maybe* nine pound kitten! The kitten that has never killed anything bigger then a fly. (Well, actually there was that really big spider that she killed that one time...)
This adventure got me thinking. How many things am I afraid of that are really silly? How many times to I totally freak out when really it is no big deal?
A lot actually.
But the truth is that it truly is, “No Big deal” Is truly, “No Big deal.”

One of my all time favorite verses goes something like this, “Even if I walk thought a very dark valley, I will not be afraid, because you are with me. Your rod and shepherds staff comfort me.” (Psalm 23:4 NCV)
Even when life is scary, Jesus is there with his shepherd’s staff and he will fight all your monsters, so there is no reason to be afraid of anything.

Next time there is a monster under your bed or you afraid of something-like taking a big test or talking to someone God told you to talk to- remember that he will keep you safe. And with his staff, he will comfort you.

Rachel Joy


Popular Posts