Peanuts: The Bane of my Life



*This post contains a lot of sarcasm. I’m sorry.*

I have a mild peanut allergy. It’s fun! The other day there was a plate that had peanut butter on it in the sink and as a result I coughed so hard that I sounded like a walrus puking, but also was kind of “bleck” for the rest of the day. 

“It was awesome,” She said sarcastically. (I didn’t even touch it. It just… happened.)

After getting to a point where I could stop coughing and start speaking English again, (and opened the window) (and apologized for not doing the rest of the dishes.)  I started to realize that there must be some good thing about having a stupid peanut allergy, and thus I decided to blog about it.

The first lesson that I’ve learned is that I’m not invincible. I like to think that I’m strong, brave and can take on the world, but I can’t even do a simple task like the dishes when there is a spoon with peanut butter on it. This does wonders to your self-esteem when you realize that. But the truth is that I can’t do anything by my own strength. Only through Jesus Christ who gives me strength! 

I can’t stress how amazing that is to know. Because I am so weak and I feel absolutely useless. But that’s so not the truth! With Jesus and by his strength, I can do all things!

The second lesson I’ve learned is that we are so intricately created and at the same unique. I’m different then my brothers. We have the same parents, live in the same house and yet everything about the three of us is different.

I’m doing Biology II this year—which is basically just the study of how bones and muscles work— and it’s crazy how many parts of you need to work together just to do things like read the words that are chilling on this screen. Your thumbs have to be able to scroll, your fingers need to be able to press things, and the muscles in your eyes need to be able to move across the screen. How crazy is that? At the same time you have to breathe, your lungs have to turn air into something your body can use, and  you have to exhale. You are so intricately created.

But then at the same time unique. You are physically and mentally different from anyone else on the earth! You’re different tastes in things like music and food, your fears and voice and just the essences of who you are, is unique!

It’s amazing how well God put us together.

The final lesson I’ve learned is although things aren’t convenient, but they are all in God’s perfect plan.

You see, it’s not convenient to hide in my bedroom and blog instead of eating chocolate in the kitchen with my family. But apparently it’s part of God’s plan. There must be something I said here, or will say in the future that God will use for his glory and to further his Kingdom. To be honest, I’m willing to lay down all the peanut filled in the world for that.

Although I’m shattered to know I will never be an elephant trainer, it must be God’s plan.

And I’m ok with that.

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28


~Rachel Joy 

Popular Posts