Standing at the Crossroads




In my sixteen years of living, I’ve had a lot of places where my life could have been drastically different then the way it currently is.

Granted, most of those times I was more than happy to keep everything just the way it was. In fact, I don’t like change. So I’ve pretty much never wanted anything to change.

When we moved across the city to the house I currently live in, I wanted to stay at my old house. I could have lived in that little yellow house for the rest of my life.

That was 7 years ago. Now I’m sitting in the bedroom that I have so many amazing memories… Hanging out with so many friends. (Singing “Do you Want to Build a Snowman” at the top of my lungs after ice skating with my best friends…) the time my mom painted my room while I was at camp (which totally surprised me!) and just fun times growing up.

I remember another turning point. Leaving my old church to go start a church plant with a bunch of people I barely even knew.

Those same people are now some of my best friends and honorary family…

Now I stand at another crossroad. A road I really don’t want to cross. Truthfully, I would rather do a million things then go down this road.

So many things that have the potential to happen.

In a way I suppose it’s because I’m scared. I’m afraid that on the side of the road there are monsters and big scary things.

Down the other path I know what will happen. It’s peaceful… It’s normal. It’s the same as everything has always been.

As I stand at the cross roads, with everything that I’ve ever known on either side of me, these two verses come to mind:

“Stand where the roads cross and look. Ask where the old way is, where the good way is and walk on it. If you do, you will find rest for yourselves.” Jeremiah 6:16

“The LORD will guard you as you come and go, both now and forever.” Psalms 121:8

You see, no matter which road I go down, God will still be sovereign. He will hold me firm no matter which path walk down. He will be my rock that I can run to for safety. He is my shield and my saving strength and my defender.

Even if everything on the face of the universe changes and becomes something different, God will still be sovereign. He never changes even when everything else does.

I realize I say this a lot on this blog, but it’s something that I struggle to remember. That God is sovereign through the thick and thin and always will be sovereign.

So… I have an announcement to make. This is a pretty big deal in my life, and it may affect my publishing schedule, but we’ll see what happens.

I’m moving to Oklahoma. Not that I know anyone who lives in Oklahoma. Not that I’ve ever been to Oklahoma. It’s just where God is calling my family and I.

Let me stress this. I don’t want to move. I really, really, really, really, really don’t want to move. I want to stay right here in Washington for the rest of my life.

But, I also want to do what I’ve been called to do. I want to watch details that right now seem impossible just fall into place in the perfect timing of my Creator.

That’s what I want. It’s not going to be easy. (Uhh… No.) But it will be worth it because God’s plans are still to prosper. He will always be sovereign over me. He will help me stand on the steep mountains.

Come and see what the LORD has done, the amazing things he has done on earth… God says, “Be still and know that I am God. I will be praised in all the nations; I will be praised throughout the earth.”  ~Psalms 46:8-10

~Rachel Joy



Popular Posts